Sunday, September 04, 2005

Supporting Hurricane Katrina Relief

Hey y'all!
So I slept in until 9:30am...that felt nice. I did alllll my laundry and worked on homework while watching "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring." Ashley, my roommate, left to go home around 2:00pm. So it's just me, alllll alone. hehe, it's okay. I'm fine! So Hurricane Katrina has really been on my mind a lot. I was working out the other day and I saw what it's like down in the area where people are homeless, it's devastating. I can't believe I'm living in luxury while others don't have food or water. I wanted to do something. While watching bits of tv before SNG I saw a Red Cross commercial talking about the hurricane relief, and then I knew exactly what God wanted me to do (which isn't something that's easy to do)....give up money. I was supposed to receive my first paycheck from working in the Busey Dining Hall on wednesday. Suddenly I understood what God wanted me to do. He wanted me to give my first paycheck to the Hurricane Relief efforts. But how? Well...at SNG Dan Herron gave people an opportunity to give money to the Red Cross. What a coincidence that I was actually carrying around quite a lot of cash in my wallet. So I put in about 75% of my first paycheck. Dan also said that the church they were connected with concerning the relief efforts were gathering people to go down to New Orleans to help the cleanup through the Red Cross. So Mike and Erin, Matt, and Jeff are gonna leave today Sunday afternoon at 4pm, arrive there Monday morning at 6am, and start working until Wednesday night. Wow, what a response! After SNG our I-team hung out at the Outpost, and then Erin, Mike, Clay and Matt (different one) went to the Courier at 11pm (I got a peanut butter milkshake) and talked a lot about the hurricane and everything. And now I'm here. What a day! I actually wanna mention one more thing, which has no relation to the Hurricane. I do not believe in evolution. I don't believe that we and this beautiful creation is here by chance. For example, the Rocky Mountains. I believe that God specifically carved each curve and cliff of those mountains for a specific purpose. God purposefully created the "Keyhole" (of Long's Peak) so that one day I could hike to that spot, and see God's amazing work and praise and glorify Him. Wow! I have been wanting to put that into words for a long time. I'm going to bed now.

Rach

1 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

that's a great example that you gave up your money to help people. very challenging to me. keep it up, rach.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home